Monday 4 June 2012

FQ Retreat

..... and a GREAT time was had by all!

Firstly, before I say anything else, a huge thanks has to go to the Fat Quarterly team, for the fantastic job they did this weekend.  Not only was it superbly organised, the team were soooo friendly and approachable and it really felt like we'd known them for ever. 

I nearly hyperventilated on arrival, coming face to face with John Adams, or QuiltDad as he may be better known!  John is the reason I signed up for the retreat - one of my first 'modern' attempts at quilting was a wonky log cabin cushion cover from John's tutorial.  It was the first thing I ever posted on flickr, and I think John's was one of the first comments - my first feedback from a professional!  


John's welcoming speech


Lucie Summers, designer of the fantastic Summersville range, Katy 'I'magingermonkey' Jones and Tacha Breucher were also on the reception desk with Lynne of Lily's Quilts and Brioni Greenberg loitering nearby. There were also some truly stunning quilts which had been made by the team decorating the area, but I have to confess to being so overwhelmed I didn't actually notice them till later! Somewhere amongst the throng was Kerry who was also teaching a class, and Aneela joined us later for her embroidery lesson.  

(I think I've mentioned everyone, but if I missed anyone, I'm so sorry!  And thank you, too!)

Anyway, after a quick game of people bingo which got the ice well and truly broken - 100+ women & 2 guys wandering round staring at each other's boobs in an effort to match name tags to lists...! - John opened proceedings with his welcoming speech and away we went.

Now, at this point, my brain pretty much went into shock.  I completely forgot I had a camera except at one point in the afternoon when someone reminded me to take a picture of my embroidery efforts.  And so because there was so much going on.... and there's so much to tell you ..... and I can take retrospective photos at home this evening.... I'm going to blog about the classes, the goody bag, the ironman challenge, the real pleasure of meeting other bloggers etc etc etc..... later!

I'm sorry - I hate it when bloggers do that - they've been to a brilliant event and then come back and tell you NOTHING!  But honestly?  It was fantastic, it was stimulating, it was inspirational, and if you didn't go, book next year's as soon as it becomes available.... and it was exhausting!  There was just so much to take in, and process, and enjoy, and I will share it with you..... tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't take a single photo saturday and only a few on sunday! Its been brilliant though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more. As I didn't get to go it's good to live vicariously through other people's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only photo I took was one of the 352 matching handbags. I'm totally with you on the camera amnesia! Lovely to see you there xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab weekend - glad you were able to come on Sunday too :) The photos I took are mostly blurry - taken in such hurried and excited moments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to meet you Pennie - as promised, here's the link to the For Pleats Sake bag pattern

    http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2010/08/free-bag-purse-pattern-for-pleats-sake-tote.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Moira, thank you! I will add this to my growing pile of wanna makes! Was lovely to meet you over the weekend - I've still not quite recovered!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment, unless you're a spammer, then please don't bother - they won't pass the moderation.