Sunday 15 April 2012

Busy, busy, busy!

Where does the time go!  This last week has been so busy, with my day job seriously impacting on sewing and blogging time. We've been to exhibit at a wedding fair today, and all I could tihink about was how much it was wasting good sewing time! Over the coming weeks we have some big birthday celebrations for the OH as he reaches 40, and then wedding season kicks in and so it's work, work, work.


In the meantime, I thought I'd show you my little bag that I made. 


I decided the night before the last LMQG meeting that I needed a bag to carry my stuff in and so at 9.30pm, I set to.  Needless to say, in spite of a very late night, and an equally early morning, I didn't get it finished.


I used a layer cake of Hometown by Sweetwater, and was really pleasantly surprised that the fabric I'd struggled with when trying to lay out for a quilt top, was transformed when used for this.  I went from indifferent to loving it.


The pattern called for a contrasting fabric for the lining and handles, but I thought I might as well get full use out of the layer cake and so I pieced them.  


The contrasting strips and binding round the top are Moda Bella Solids in Snow. (nestling in the bottom is my Sew Stitchy still hidden in it's envelope!)


It's a really generously sized tote bag, and the pattern also has instructions for adding pockets inside and a tab closure with magnetic clasp, but I decided to forego those options - I wanted something big enough to carry my cutting mat, without anything to get in the way.


So, I'm really looking forward to showing it off at the next meeting!   It's just the right size for the myriad parcels of fabric I seem to bring home every time...... 





6 comments:

  1. Love it! Ohhhh wedding season, I spent my youth as a silver server and judging all the outfits of brides and guests ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear Kelly - will give you a call when we're next short of staff! And judging the guests is my favourite part of the job
      :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm always so happy when I find a blog as lovely as yours. What beautiful work. Your tote is an inspiration! New follower. Deb. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love it. Was it from a pattern please? Hand sewing now as couriers broke my sewing machine! See you soon.
    Love
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, unless you're a spammer, then please don't bother - they won't pass the moderation.